Once you have decided to use blogs.wm.edu to host your website, it will only take a few minutes to publish your new site.
- Go to http://blogs.wm.edu/wp-signup.php
- Enter a username that you would like to use
- Enter the email address you would like associated with this account. (blogs.wm.edu uses this email address to send you your password if you forget it and to notify administrators of service outages)
- Make sure “Gimme a site!” is checked.
- Click “Next”
- On the next screen, you will see that the system has already filled in a domain name for your site. By default it is set to your user name. Now is the time to change your domain name–you can’t change it later without deleting your entire site and starting from scratch. Domain names will resemble this url: http://yourblogdomain.blogs.wm.edu
- Add a site title (these usually display at the top of your site)
- Choose if you would like people to find your site via search engines like Google. If you choose not to, your site is still public, but it shouldn’t show up in searches.
- Click “Signup”
- Look for an email from blogs.wm.edu at the email address you provided in step 3. It will provide an activation link. Click on that link and your site will be made active. At this time, you will also be assigned a password.
- Start building your site!
[Editor’s Note: These instructions apply to WordPress v. 3.2.1]